Chad Griggs must have come to a sobering decision after getting man-handled by a larger Travis Browne at UFC 145, a decision where the ex-Strikeforce Heavyweight decided he needed to drop down to Light Heavyweight to avoid having to fight much larger opponents.
As we all know, if you have 2 fighters with equal skill and conditioning, usually the larger person will win, that’s just the way it goes in combat sports, well 95% of the time anyway. This is why most fighters usually fight below their natural weight.
Griggs has decided to make the move down to 205, and will debut at light heavyweight against Phil Davis. Both fighters are looking to rebound from losses.
Davis last fought in the main event at UFC on Fox 2, where he lost via unanimous decision to Rashad Evans, handing Davis his first loss of his career. Evans dominated Davis for 5 full rounds in the title eliminator match that gave the winner a shot at the light heavyweight title. A shot that Evans would later lose to Jon Jones via unanimous decision.
Before losing to Browne, Griggs had been riding high on a 6 fight winning streak, finishing 5 of those six opponents inside the 1st round.
Here’s the UFC on FOX 4 fight card so far:
- Hector Lombard vs. Brian Stann (Main Event)
- Ryan Bader vs. Lyoto Machida
- Travis Browne vs. Ben Rothwell
- Terry Etim vs. Joe Lauzon
- Rob Broughton vs. Matt Mitrione
- Phil Davis vs. Chad Griggs
- Phil De Fries vs. Oli Thompson
UFC on FOX 4 will take place in Los Angeles, California at the Staples Center August 4th 2012.
|< Prev||Next >|
Upcoming MMA events
- UFC 160: Velasquez vs. Silva (25.05)
- UFC Brazil: Werdum vs. Nogueira (08.06)
- Pancrase: 2013 Neo-Blood Tournament (30.06)
- Pancrase (21.07)
- UFC on Fox 8 (27.07)
- Pancrase 2013 Neo-Blood Tournament Finals (28.07)
- Pancrase: 20th Anniversary (29.09)
- MFC 38: Behind Enemy Lines (04.10)
- UFC on Fox 9 (14.12)