At UFC 146 tonight, heavyweight champion Junior Dos Santos successfully defended his title for the first time against Frank Mir, a fight that Mir really didn't seem to have anything to offer the champ, He looked simply over matched.
Dos Santos easily stuffed Mir's early takedown attempt, forcing Mir to stand up with the heavy hitting Dos Santos,this was the beginning of the end for Mir as he was completely dominated by the champ who had him close to a knock out at the end of round one but Dos Santos smartly chose not to punch himself out and pick where he left off in the second round. The second round was more of the same, Dos Santos continued to pepper Mir with punches where he finally was able to land a heavy shot on Mir and finish him with just less that 2 minutes remaining in the second round.
"I've never been hit that hard in my life"
"I didn't want to stand with him, but he gave me no choice"
"He's the champ, He's fast, and I couldn't get out of the way. He just hit me too many times." Mir humbly admitted.
One of the most surprising fights of the night was Barbosa vs. Varner, Jaime Varner stunned viewers with a inspired performance against the top Brazilian prospect. Varner was relentless in his pursuit of Barbosa, taking him down right away, Barbosa was able to escape but Varner was able to land some heavy shots that rocked Barbosa, he was unable to recover under Varner's relentless pressure. Varner who's career was on the edge of retirement, has definitely made a statement about his return to form.
Fight Of The Night: *Not Awarded*
Submission Of The Night: Paul Sass = $70,000 & Stephan Struve = $70,000Knock Out Of The Night: Roy Nelson = $70,000 & Dan Hardy $70,000
Gate: $3.4 million
Full UFC 146 results included:
- Junior Dos Santos def. Frank Mir via TKO (punches) R2, 3:04
- Cain Velasquez def. Antonio Silva via TKO (punches) R1, 3:36
- Roy Nelson def. Dave Herman via knockout (punch) 0:51
- Stipe Miocic def. Shane Del Rosario via TKO (elbows) R2, 3:14
- Stefan Struve def. Lavar Johnson via submission (armbar) R1, 1:05
- Darren Elkins def. Diego Brandao via unanimous decision
- Jamie Varner def. Edson Barboza via TKO (punches) R1, 3:23
- C.B. Dollaway def. Jason "Mayhem" Miller via unanimous decision
- Dan Hardy def. Duane "Bang" Ludwig via knockout (strikes) R1, 3:51
- Paul Sass def. Jacob Volkmann via sub. (triangle choke/armbar) R1, 1:54
- Glover Teixeira def. Kyle Kingsbury via sub. (arm-triangle choke) R1, 1:53
- Mike Brown def. Daniel Pineda via unanimous decision
|< Prev||Next >|
Upcoming MMA events
- UFC 160: Velasquez vs. Silva (25.05)
- UFC Brazil: Werdum vs. Nogueira (08.06)
- Pancrase: 2013 Neo-Blood Tournament (30.06)
- Pancrase (21.07)
- UFC on Fox 8 (27.07)
- Pancrase 2013 Neo-Blood Tournament Finals (28.07)
- Pancrase: 20th Anniversary (29.09)
- MFC 38: Behind Enemy Lines (04.10)
- UFC on Fox 9 (14.12)